Moderators: CEO1, AC480, 3rdcoast

AC480
Founder
Trade Experience: 37
Service History: Chiller Technician
Trade Certifications: LA State Lic Mechanical / MS State Lic HVAC / CRCM

PurCool Condensate Pan Tab Review

Postby AC480 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:12 am

Condensate lines continue to be a recurring problem, especially down here in the south with the high humidity. The air is full of mold and biological spores, that ultimately winds up in the drain pan, and then the drain line. The water warms up in the trap and it is prime conditions for a biological bloom, which stops up the line. Blowing the line out unstops it, but if you don't kill the source of the problem it is just going to come back. I've been down the aisles in the supply houses, and the condensate pan treatments always have warnings on them like causes severe burns. You can pour bleach in the drain line but it is corrosive to the copper coil. I was in Johnstone Monday, and told them I was having recurring problems with a computer room unit with a condensate pump. There is a line that comes from the pan, and an overflow from the IR humidifier pan. The trap gets plugged, and than pan will hold a 5 gallon bucket before it overflows. Calgon has come out with a new product called PurCool.
There was a sticker in the store that said safe for Goodman aluminum coils, but I can't seem to find it now nor can I remember exactly where I saw it. It says it's safe and biodegradable. The instructions and warnings are very vague. It just says safe if used as intended. The ingredients are proprietary. The SDS is the poorest excuse I have ever seen. I bought a bottle. I have a 5 gallon bucket in front of my shop, that I keep about a gallon of water in to keep it from blowing away in wind. Then it rains, gets dirty, and fills up with mosquito larvae. This boogers are very resistant to Clorox. A few drops of Dawn dishwashing detergent puts a seal on the top of the water and keeps them from get air, it is far more effective than bleach. I have put the bucket back out, added a gallon of water, and dropped 2 of the tabs in. I have a piece of copper hanging in the water for corrosion test. We shall see if it controls the biological growth and if it is corrosive to the copper.
Here is the link to the product, and from here you can see the promo sheet and the SDS.
http://www.nucalgon.com/products/clenai ... ol-tablets

"We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard"
-John F. Kennedy, Rice University, Sept. 12, 1962

AC480
Founder

Re: Condensate Pan Tabs

Postby AC480 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:09 pm

I looked at the bucket today and the tabs are gone. Apparently dissolved. I dropped 2 more tabs in and came back in a couple of hours and they had dissolved. I am going to leave it out and see how long it takes to start growing green stuff. I may let it get good and nasty and drop some pills in and see what happens.

Behappy
Senior Tech*
Trade Experience: 45
Service History: Been there, Done that and got the scar to prove it.
Trade Certifications: ID 10 T certified, NATEless for a couple of years now.

Postby Behappy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:29 am

Sounds like a plan. I used to see "cakes" used in pans. I think they were supposed to last 6 months?

AC480
Founder

Postby AC480 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:10 pm

Behappy wrote:Sounds like a plan. I used to see "cakes" used in pans. I think they were supposed to last 6 months?

Yes. And they would sit there and make a mess. Some are in a plastic box that has a cloth like membrane on the bottom, all with warnings on them.
Maybe this will sanitize the pan, the runoff will sanitize the line, and go away. I think this is going to be a long term evaluation, at least 3 months to start seeing effects. The instructions say to place tabs in the pan every 3 months. I am going to move this bucket into the shop to keep sunlight off it trying to reproduce the conditions of an actually drain pan. Since the SDS is so vague, I better take precautions to prevent dogs and other animals or wildlife from drinking from it. I am going to fill another bucket and leave it untreated. If that bucket starts developing algae or other biological growth I am going to drop some PurCool tabs in it and see if they will kill it.

AC480
Founder

Postby AC480 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:33 pm

It took some doing to get it to embed. The video appears to be strips. The ones I got was a 200 count bottle of tablets.

AC480
Founder

Re: PurCool Condensate Pan Tab Review

Postby AC480 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:05 pm

I thought I had posted a picture of the yellow 5 gallon bucket that I dropped 2 tablets in back on Jan 19,2017. I must not have. Anyway, The bucket was clean, the weather has been mild, but now everything is blooming and we have highs in the mid 80's. I have not added water to the bucket, so it evaporates and fills back up with rain water. I put some copper tubing in the bucket as well, just to see what the effect would be. After 2 plus months, I see no algae, while other water catchers are full of it. There is nothing but pine tree blossoms and dead crane flies. The copper that was pretty corroded is now clean. I see no corrosion though. I guess the stuff works. I just wish I knew what was in it.
bucket 32716.jpg

CEO1
Founder
Trade Experience: 30
Service History: Primarily residential, with an occasional light commercial something.
Trade Certifications: Expired NATE's, State Certified Contractor

Re: PurCool Condensate Pan Tab Review

Postby CEO1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:01 am

I need to try those on some apartments dealt with on a regular basis. Really old equipment with gunked up condensate plumbing. If the tablets would "clear" the plumbing, it'd be a small miracle.
One of the MFIC's...

Return to “General Discussion”