Moderators: CEO1, AC480, 3rdcoast

AC480
Founder
Trade Experience: 37
Service History: Chiller Technician
Trade Certifications: LA State Lic Mechanical / MS State Lic HVAC / CRCM

Hey MITTS-Flaker question

Postby AC480 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:58 pm

Sunday before last at church we had dinner in the cafeteria. There is a Scotsman Flaker, that is usually left on continuously. I know it needs a good cleaning, there is iron in the well water. Someone put a filter on it but I don't think it is the right kind.
We were finishing up eating and the machine cut off on the bin level control as it should, but it made a very odd sound. As it shut down, the sound was similar to a bearing seizing that lasted about 5 seconds. It has been several years since I worked on any ice machines, and I have never worked on a flaker. It is making good ice, but the noise it made was disturbing. I cleared the ice from under the chute and the machine started back up and began making ice. It made no more unusual sounds. They usually leave it plugged in and running because there are gatherings off and on throughout the week. I suggested we unplug it since there were no plans for anyone to be there the following week.
It's going to be hard for me to pinpoint the problem due to my lack of familiarity with the flaker, and a issue I was unable to repeat in the short time I had the cover off.
This is a shot in the dark, and I'm wondering if this is something you have seen before and is there any chance you could offer some insight with the limited information? Church is about an hour away, and I don't particularly want to sit around on a Sunday afternoon waiting on a chance it might make the same noise again. The only thing I can think of is do a detailed inspection & cleaning to see and there is something in there that needs attention.
Attached is a pic of the data plate:
Church Ice machine 062816.jpg

"We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard"
-John F. Kennedy, Rice University, Sept. 12, 1962

JCtech
Senior Tech*
Trade Experience: 8
Service History: service tech, learned all I know on protech;)
Trade Certifications: None Provided

Re: Hey MITTS-Flaker question

Postby JCtech » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:11 pm

If it runs dry it'll make an awful noise. Watch the reservoir level while its making ice. Dealt with this recently on one with a filter that let go its guts. We had to disassemble and clean everything in the water supply side.

AC480
Founder
Trade Experience: 37
Service History: Chiller Technician
Trade Certifications: LA State Lic Mechanical / MS State Lic HVAC / CRCM

Postby AC480 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:23 pm

Thanks JCtech. I think you hit the nail on the head. I can't see the water level in the reservoir because it is stained reddish brown. There is no telling when the filter was changed last either. One of the deacons said they had someone that has worked on it from time to time, so I think I would rather make a donation in cash than in labor. I am more effective working on chillers than ice machines. :mrgreen:

"We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard"
-John F. Kennedy, Rice University, Sept. 12, 1962

MITTS
Senior Tech*
Trade Experience: 21
Service History: HVACR
Trade Certifications: None Provided

Postby MITTS » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:46 pm

#1 reason for noise ........ it's Scotsman Flaker :mrgreen:

Seriously though

Intermittent noises are typically trash in the water getting scraped up and out by the auger.

Refrigeration/Mechanical issues are more constant.

Honestly a Scotsman Flaker is like a sleeping dog. Leave it alone ;) They don't bounce back from neglect well and could turn into a nightmare for you if you start digging into it.

If they want a flaker/nugget machine encourage them to buy a Hoshizaki when this one quits. Nothing better out there.

The noise on shut down is troubling though.

I'd have to read the service book too but some of these better machines will kill the refrigeration before the gearbox to give the ice time to melt while the auger is still spinning. If it's shutting the whole thing down while the auger is still all loaded up this may be a issue too.
I don't know
karate
but I know
ka-razy

Return to “Ice Machines”