Style Change/New Look

Moderators: CEO1, AC480, 3rdcoast

CEO1
Founder
Trade Experience: 30
Service History: Primarily residential, with an occasional light commercial something.
Trade Certifications: Expired NATE's, State Certified Contractor

Style Change/New Look

Postby CEO1 » Sat May 16, 2015 9:50 am

If you visited the site before an hour ago (9:30 AM CDT...5/16/2015), you saw a totally different "visual format"... :o

Due to a pending upgrade of the php version, the "black background" style had to be abandoned, as the upgrade version won't support it.

What you're seeing now, is a "standard" default style for php based forums. (I personally preferred the black background, for numerous reasons, none of which were critical to forum operation.)
One of the MFIC's...

AC480
Founder
Trade Experience: 37
Service History: Chiller Technician
Trade Certifications: LA State Lic Mechanical / MS State Lic HVAC / CRCM

Re: Style Change/New Look

Postby AC480 » Sat May 16, 2015 7:57 pm

I have gone back through my designated email folder for this website and it appears that we actually got this site online around February 2014. We did not open it up for some time, as mostly CEO1 spent untold hours customizing it. There are hundreds of emails and post in the admin board (which you guys can't see), in reference to technical customization...decisions, decisions. If I recall correctly, we went with Phpbb3 because we wanted to keep the same style and functionality including a black pearl background that the "gang" was used to. CEO1 and I have been discussing the software update for several weeks. I find it so ironic that we discovered the old site had gone down only a few minutes after CEO1 changed back to the default view for the pending phpbb3 software upgrade, and announced the presence of this site. I too am having trouble navigating and finding post with the default view. There is no choice here until our hired gun get's the upgrade completed.
This phbpp3 is an open source format that can be customized for your own preferences. It is incomprehensibly complex. Changing one little thing has caused changes to the view and functionality of the whole board. I had no idea that you had to dump all that customization to upgrade to the new version. I found a screen shot of what the background looked like before today. We have agreed not to let this board get behind on updating software versions. I found a screenshot of what the board looked like prior to this mornings rollback. In reference to the color of some of my fonts being unreadable against the white background, there are a lot of post I have made with unreadable font. I could go in and change them, but it might be an effort in futility once the upgrade is complete. I understand that black pearl is not an option, but we likely will not keep the default style. Please be patient with our progress. Having to rollback all the work that was done is enough to make one want to vomit.
Screenshot (9).png

"We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard"
-John F. Kennedy, Rice University, Sept. 12, 1962

AC480
Founder

Postby AC480 » Sun May 17, 2015 12:21 pm

I have been doing some research and have been on the phone with CEO1. Here is the scoop. We are running version 3.0.12. There is a red banner on our admin control panel saying our version is out of date and we need to update to version 3.0.14. However, version 3.1.3 is available. Support for version 3.0 will continue for about a year, then it will be abandoned. By support, I mean updates, just like what recently happened to Windows XP. It would still work if we stayed with the 3.0.xx versions, but we would be sliding into the abyss of obsolesce. The problem with a major software upgrade is all the plug-ins and modifications that were installed to give it that special look have to abandoned and go back to the default format due to the massive code changes. For the short term, we are loosing some of the functionality that we had, but what I am reading this is a major upgrade and there are many new features available in PhpBB 3.1. It would be an effort in futility to even think about making any changes until the updated software is installed. Many of the previous issues raised may be addressed in the new software.
We also want to keep modifications to a minimum so future upgrades won't be so hard. I'm thinking the upgrade will be completed sometime this week.

AC480
Founder

Postby AC480 » Sat May 23, 2015 12:00 pm

AC480 wrote:We also want to keep modifications to a minimum so future upgrades won't be so hard. I'm thinking the upgrade will be completed sometime this week.

Update on Upgrade:
PhpBB3 has released yet another update of version 3.1 to 3.1.4. Apparently there were some bugs in the new version 3.1, as there usually are anytime a new software version is released. We have decided to give it a little time while they identify and iron out the bugs until we perform the upgrade to 3.1 and and install the current update. What I'm reading in the support forum suggest some background color options have been added, among other things. We shall see.

Return to “Announcements”