Smart Phone Anemometer

Moderators: CEO1, AC480, 3rdcoast

CEO1
Founder
Trade Experience: 30
Service History: Primarily residential, with an occasional light commercial something.
Trade Certifications: Expired NATE's, State Certified Contractor

Smart Phone Anemometer

Postby CEO1 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:57 pm

Bought this thing a month ago, just now got the app and turned it on...will play with it awhile before making any pro or con comments.

Airflow Meter

One of the MFIC's...

CEO1
Founder
Service History: Primarily residential, with an occasional light commercial something.

Re: Smart Phone Anemometer

Postby CEO1 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:09 pm

Just found this bit of info, reading from available material at the website...

Taking Traverse Readings with the ABM-100To increase the accuracy of reading and obtain an average of the overall airflow through a grille or register, please follow the following steps:

1. Place the meter in the center of the grille and and hit start
2. Slowly move the meter from side to side (to within 1.5" of each side) for the full 30 seconds

The ABM-100 and ABM-200 have a sampling rate of 44,100 times per second, it then sends air speed readings to the smartphone every 0.25 seconds, the ABM app automatically calculates in real time the average of all 120 readings transmitted to the smartphone.

I've had a few "inexpensive" meters, none of which took an average of readings...that's a definite plus for a $40 instrument. :)
One of the MFIC's...

CEO1
Founder

Test Run

Postby CEO1 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:50 pm

I didn't change the parameters on the app, so the values below obviously aren't supply ducts...I have two 16 X 25 return filter grills. Opened the grills, to eliminate guessing at AK values.

The system has a V/S air handler that's supposed to be "set" for 1400 cfm (to match the 3.5 ton condenser). I did the traverse method with the test, sent the "report" to my email. It doesn't show up as some kind of PDF attachment, so you can't do anything with it but take a screen shot.

AiflowTest.png
AiflowTest.png (26.8 KiB) Viewed 309 times

I'm somewhat, impressed...
One of the MFIC's...

Return to “Airflow”