????????

Moderators: CEO1, AC480, 3rdcoast

JCtech
Senior Tech*
Trade Experience: 8
Service History: service tech, learned all I know on protech;)
Trade Certifications: None Provided

????????

Postby JCtech » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:25 pm

Do you think I could just loosen the set screws and pull the motor off and install a new motor??? https://www.taco-hvac.com/products/water_circulation_pumps__circulators/in-line_pumps/1900_series_pumps/index.html Look at instructions and theres a 'replace motor' section. According to the description, it seems feasible to replace motor without taking pump apart, maybe??

MAINEiac
Senior Tech*
Trade Experience: 30
Service History: HVAC SERV TECH
Trade Certifications: Hack from way back

Re: ????????

Postby MAINEiac » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:42 pm

yes you can, reread the motor replacement section

JCtech
Senior Tech*

Postby JCtech » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:58 pm

MAINEiac wrote:yes you can, reread the motor replacement section
I read it that the 'proper motor replacement procedure' requires disassembling the pump, removing impeller, etc... But the end of section is basically to slide motor shaft into coupler until it butts up, then tighten set screws. But in my minds eye, I can see doing that last step without all the preceding steps, which which prevents the need to reassemble, etc.... And you concur?? There is a parts breakdown which shows an exploded view in the 'replacement parts' link.

CEO1
Founder
Service History: Primarily residential, with an occasional light commercial something.
Trade Certifications: Expired NATE's, State Certified Contractor

Postby CEO1 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:28 pm

One of my neighbors thinks, because I can fix heat pumps, I can do anything mechanical... :roll: She called me a couple of years ago about her swimming pool pump motor...was "making a noise" and she wanted to replace it. I listened; it just sounded kinda' noisy and I figured it would probably run on for more seasons...and told her.

She didn't have the same confidence, and asked me to go ahead and replace it. I started to suggest she call a pool man. :x Just finding an exact pool pump motor replacement takes more patience than I have...

But I looked at the thing, thought about it and managed to find another motor...and replaced it same as you're talking about doing. It wasn't like slicing butter with a hot knife, but I got it done.
One of the MFIC's...

MAINEiac
Senior Tech*
Service History: HVAC SERV TECH
Trade Certifications: Hack from way back

Postby MAINEiac » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:01 pm

JCtech wrote:
MAINEiac wrote:yes you can, reread the motor replacement section
I read it that the 'proper motor replacement procedure' requires disassembling the pump, removing impeller, etc... But the end of section is basically to slide motor shaft into coupler until it butts up, then tighten set screws. But in my minds eye, I can see doing that last step without all the preceding steps, which which prevents the need to reassemble, etc.... And you concur?? There is a parts breakdown which shows an exploded view in the 'replacement parts' link.

Loosen motor side of coupler part # 42 and bearing assy should stay in place. If you need to pull all apart it is not a hard job

JCtech
Senior Tech*

Postby JCtech » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:14 pm

CEO1 wrote:One of my neighbors thinks, because I can fix heat pumps, I can do anything mechanical... :roll: , but I got it done.
Thats cause your the doctor ;)
MAINEiac wrote:Loosen motor side of coupler part # 42 and bearing assy should stay in place. If you need to pull all apart it is not a hard job

Thats what I was thinking. I have to do two of these in the morning. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the input.

JCtech
Senior Tech*

Postby JCtech » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:42 pm

Ok, got it done. While it is theoretically possible to do like I planned, it would never have happened on this occasion. Had to pull the motor and impeller assemblys and remove impellers, and then commence to pissin and moanin trying to get those freakin shaft adapters off. Ended up using a 2' pickle fork and a BIG hammer :) The whole job was necessary due to one of our electricians wired both motors wrong and smoked em. Anyway, just put em back together the way they were, and they didnt leak :D

CEO1
Founder
Service History: Primarily residential, with an occasional light commercial something.
Trade Certifications: Expired NATE's, State Certified Contractor

Postby CEO1 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:04 pm

Well, I'm sure swimming pool pump/motor assemblies are a lot simpler than whatever that was you were working on... :shock:
One of the MFIC's...

Return to “Commercial”