Another Leaker

Moderators: CEO1, AC480

CEO1
Founder
Trade Experience: 30
Service History: Primarily residential, with an occasional light commercial something.
Trade Certifications: Expired NATE's, State Certified Contractor

Another Leaker

Postby CEO1 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:25 pm

Trane "over/under" package H/P, 7 or 8 years old... :x I did the video to show the Trane distributor/warranty people for evidence. They're getting kinda' obstinate with warranty claims...

Leak.JPG

The leak is low on the coil and on the inside row (wouldn't you know it), so getting a close up view is next to impossible. First thought the leak was at the rough looking braze, but after reheating and smoothing is out, there was still a leak. So it must be at, or behind, the end plate. Going to show it to someone (with Trane) and get an opinion as to tearing further into the coil to attempt a repair, or just get a new coil.

The warranty language refers to "repairing accessible leaks"...don't believe this one would be ruled accessible, so guessing they will order a new coil.
One of the MFIC's...

AC480
Founder
Trade Experience: 37
Service History: Chiller Technician
Trade Certifications: LA State Lic Mechanical / MS State Lic HVAC / CRCM

Re: Another Leaker

Postby AC480 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:36 pm

Geez, that thing is blowing. They can't expect you to repair that. They also should be pretty ashamed of those factory solder joints. That coil should have never made it past QC. When I was installing residential, I started tearing down air handlers and inspecting them in my shop. I found too many of them with cracked drain pans, loose screws, missing screws, and rubbing distribution tubes. Several of them went back before they were even installed. I kept telling them, you want me to sell residential in quantity. I am finding too many problems before I even put them in. This is burning up my time before I get to the jobsite. Your going to make me find something else to do. They did. Now I'm not buying anything from them.

"We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard"
-John F. Kennedy, Rice University, Sept. 12, 1962

CEO1
Founder
Service History: Primarily residential, with an occasional light commercial something.

Postby CEO1 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:03 am

That coil should have never made it past QC.

It passed the "leak test"... :roll:
One of the MFIC's...

CEO1
Founder

Postby CEO1 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:18 pm

Took ten days to get the coil...changed it out earlier this week, which was a first for me. Never had a condenser coil fail under warranty. My experiences were all out-of-warranty and I just dug down to the leak and brazed it... :mrgreen:

Coil.JPG
One of the MFIC's...

AC480
Founder
Trade Experience: 37
Service History: Chiller Technician
Trade Certifications: LA State Lic Mechanical / MS State Lic HVAC / CRCM

Postby AC480 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:49 pm

With quality like that, what makes a Trane any better than a Goodman or any other lower tier builders line model? If there were more service companies documenting these leaks like you did and making the manufacturer make their warranties good they might loose enough money to make a better product. There was a time when the King of a country enacted consumer protection laws, even in medieval times. That is where the term "Baker's Dozen" came from. If a vendor shorted a customer the punishment was so severe that a Baker's dozen became 13, just in case they miscounted.

"We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard"
-John F. Kennedy, Rice University, Sept. 12, 1962

CEO1
Founder

Postby CEO1 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:45 am

AC480 wrote:With quality like that, what makes a Trane any better than a Goodman or any other lower tier builders line model?

It does make you "reflect"...I would say however, it is the exception since I don't recall ever seeing a similar breach on any other Trane units.

That is where the term "Baker's Dozen" came from. If a vendor shorted a customer the punishment was so severe that a Baker's dozen became 13, just in case they miscounted.

I didn't know that piece of trivia... ;)
One of the MFIC's...

beaner
Senior Tech*
Trade Experience: 45
Service History: Serving hvac industry for 45 years. NATE since 1999
Trade Certifications: None Provided

Postby beaner » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:27 am

It's hard to weld those leaks with the galvanized plate next to the tubes. Generally have to cut the galvanized plate out to make a weld. beaner

Return to “Topics Of Interest”