Moderators: CEO1, AC480

3rdcoast
Site Moderator
Trade Experience: 29
Service History: Worked for big companies in past, currently hacking by myself
Trade Certifications: None Provided

Its Monday, I got a slumlord customer

Postby 3rdcoast » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:11 pm

I thought this was going to be the first call of the day.....

image001.jpg
image001.jpg (54.1 KiB) Viewed 100 times

Found bad outdoor motor cap, some bad wiring, and what appeared to be a bad indoor motor, I just could not find it. Only panel that is removable is on the top and this is what you see.

image002.jpg
image002.jpg (49.69 KiB) Viewed 100 times

Remove the panel to expose the blower wheel

image003.jpg
image003.jpg (52.7 KiB) Viewed 100 times

Remove the blower wheel and expose the motor

image004.jpg
image004.jpg (51.46 KiB) Viewed 100 times

Remove the motor which is mounted on compressor feet/grommets leaving the support frame for the motor exposed

image005.jpg
image005.jpg (33.6 KiB) Viewed 100 times

A motor that i have never stumbled across before. Tried all of the belly bands I had and none really matched up with the compressor grommet spacing and the triple armed studs left in the unit.

image006.jpg
image006.jpg (48.84 KiB) Viewed 100 times

Went to the Carrier store after stopping by JS and getting no help. The Carrier store had the motor.... and it cost more than a jug of r22.

The old motor nameplate was 2.8 amps, new motor nameplate was 2.0. After getting everything back together and putting all panels back on, the new motor pulled 2.4 amps, 20 percent over nameplate. As dirty as the coil is I am surprised the motor pulled any amps.

I had no solution for the high motor amps, no way to move the blower wheel, cap was new and tested good so I guess I will hope the nameplate was wrong.

And it ended being the last call of the day, because it took all day.....

CEO1
Founder
Trade Experience: 30
Service History: Primarily residential, with an occasional light commercial something.
Trade Certifications: Expired NATE's, State Certified Contractor

Re: Its Monday, I got a slumlord customer

Postby CEO1 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:37 pm

A motor that i have never stumbled across before. Tried all of the belly bands I had and none really matched up with the compressor grommet spacing and the triple armed studs left in the unit.

Before you ever got to the brand name, I started thinking Carrier... :roll: They were notorious for that blower design configuration and one-of-a-kind motor mount...bigtime PITA. :x
One of the MFIC's...

Return to “Topics Of Interest”